The name rings a bell. Or at least it should. The power of a great brand name is precisely that – powerful.
A brand name ought to be memorable, distinctive, appealing and easy to roll off the tongue, let alone strategically well thought. Great brand names stand out in competitive markets. They insight a positive association in a consumer’s memory and subsequently build brand loyalty from a foundation of strong brand equity. The naming process requires a balance between strategy, creativity and foresight.
So what makes a brand powerful? To name a few, we explore the below.
- Strategy: A great name starts with great strategy. Defining a clear unique selling proposition based on a business’ framework allows the creative layers of the naming process to flow. Strategy supports creativity.
- Memorable: Standing out from competitors with a strong name is vital. Memorable brand names ensure product differentiation and brand equity. Unique names are distinctive – take Google, Apple or Ikea for instance.
- Unique: Strong brand names invoke a strong response in people. Brands must be positive, emotionally intelligent and resonate with the consumer. They provide consumers with an intuitive connection beyond business logic.
- Translatable: The best brand names are universal. They must translate well, especially for those businesses that hope to diversify their offering in a global market. It’s also important to do a translation check to triple check a name’s meaning!
- Legality: As creative as brand naming can be, it is also vital to ensure it’s legally compliant. Checking a trademarks registry and performing market research ensures brand name validity, intellectual property and asset protection.
- Execution: And finally, the execution of the brand name is critical. Execution via market research, competitive analysis, consumer experience and possible diversification for all future business activities and goals is critical.
As for us, Principle is in our name. It’s who we are and what we do. We design with principle – from our creative dna, to strategy, people, ethos, clients, studio and business community, we bring positive change.